Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The Eggnog of Peace

I know, neither healthy nor useful for lunch, but even philosophers should eat a little cream. Or even a lot.

So the story is, my sister demanded that I bring back some eggnog (it doesn't exist in the UK) but I could only find cartons, which are not really suitcase friendly... Thus, in order to abate her wrath, I've been trying to find a recipe for it instead, and a friend sent me the offering below. If anyone cares to join me in a transcontinental eggnog experiment, I should be very pleased.

BALTIMORE EGGNOG
12 eggs, separated
2 cups superfine sugar
1 pint brandy
1/2 pint light rum
1/2 pint peach brandy
3 pints milk
1 pint heavy cream
Nutmeg
Note: If there is a problem with eggs in your region, do not prepare this recipe.

Beat the egg yolks and sugar together until thick. Slowly stir in the brandy, rum, peach brandy, milk and cream. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled and pour into a punch bowl. Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold gently into the eggnog. Grate a little nutmeg on top and serve in 4-ounce punch glasses.

Servings: Makes about 30 servings.

The alchohol situation can apparently be revised well by substituting Kahlua for the peach stuff 'n' all. Happy festive drinking!

No comments: