Monday, December 17, 2007

Orzo with garlic and green vegetables

This is really easy, and makes a delicious lunch.

Orzo
Edamame (I use frozen)
Spinach (fresh is best)
A lot of garlic, sliced (at least 4 big cloves)
Some feta cheese
Other green vegetables (e.g., broccoli, zucchini) if you have them

Start cooking the orzo. In a small amount of olive oil, over medium heat, sauté the vegetables for a couple of minutes (you can put the frozen edamame right in with the fresh vegetables). Add the sliced garlic so that it has a chance to warm up and mellow out. Sauté for a couple of minutes more, then put a lid over the pan so that the vegetables steam just a bit and cook through (I like them to remain rather firm, though). The garlic should end up somewhat softened, but still something you can bite into (and not at all burned). Combine everything. Add a little fresh pepper. Warm up and mellow out yourself...

4 comments:

adam said...

I've been looking for frozen edamame - where do you get yours?

Sock Monkey said...

I know Whole Foods and Trader Joe's have them. Not sure about other places...

British cooking, mmmm..... said...

I made this tonight. Feta makes me think of lamb chops, which makes me think of rosemary. So, I added some to the vegetables as they sauteed, and was very glad I did.

Sock Monkey said...

Sounds good! Since the only strong flavor here is the garlic, there's definitely room for an herb.